OF ST. PETAR KORISKI
The impressive ruins of the monastery and isposnica in which ascetic Petar Koriski was buried most probably at the beginning of the 13th century are located east of Prizren, near the village of Korisa. The oldest part is the partially carved natural recess in the rock with the remains of frescoes from around 1220. They are characterized by light colours completed by sure drawing as well as by characteristic iconography which speaks about the cemetery character of the shrine. At the end of the 13th century or at the beginning of the 14th century, a church was built on the narrow plateau in front of the cave whose southern wall was leaning on the arcades and massive columns which are still, even today, the most impressive part of the complex. Nothing is left of the temple itself; its northern wall was a rock on which fragments of paintings are discernible, painted simultaneously with the second layer of frescoes in isposnica. Severely damaged paintings dating back to around 1350 do not allow a clearer image of their stylistic characteristics. The narrowness of space resulted in placing the dining room, monks cells and other economic premises in a multi-storey building erected between the rocks north-west of the church. When the Prizren region was occupied by Turks, this monastic community was deserted and the relics of its founder were moved to the Crna Reka Monastery in 1572. Archeological excavations and architectural conservation works were carried out in 1961.
Decani / Gracanica / Sopocani / Pecka Patrijarsija /