Information Service

November 21 , 2002

ERP KIM Info-Service
ALBANIANS STONE A U.N. BUS WITH SERB SCHOOL-CHILDREN

Gracanica, November 21, 2002

A bus carrying Serb school-children was attacked today by a group of Kosovo Albanians near Mitrovica. In the attack, the latest in a series, three men threw stones at the UN bus as it passed through the village of Novo Selo Madjunsko between Vucitrn and Kosovska Mitrovica.

Several windows on the bus were broken but no casualties have been reported.

This attack happened after the decision of KFOR last month that miltiary escorts to the Serb school buses should be suspended because of improved security. Because of this decision many parents in Central Kosovo decided not to risk the lives of their children and send them to schools unprotected. It remains to be seen whether KFOR and UNMIK will continue experimenting with the lives of Serb children or they will take more concrete measures to provide security and free movement to the Serb population in Kosovo and Metohija.

=================================


ERP KIM Info-Service

THREE SERBS SEVERELY BEATEN BY ALBANIANS

Gracanica, November 21, 2002

A group of Kosovo Albanians attacked by stones and metal rods three Serb males: Nenad Kovacevic, Ratko Jokic and Ivan Zdravkovic from the village of Banja, municipality of Serbica. Three Serbs were beaten on the road between Serb villages of Suvo Grlo and Banja as they were returning to their home from a religious celebration. KFOR offered first aid to the injured who were immediately transferred to the hospital in North Mitrovica. Nenad Kovacevic sustained most serious injuries and was kept in hospitals. The other two were released in the afternoon. Banja and Suvo Grlo are only two remaining Serb villages in the municipality of Srbica in Drenica valley.


========================

SRNA

STILL NO CONDITIONS FOR SERB MP'S TO RETURN TO THE PARLIAMENT

Kosovska Mitrovica, November 21

The leadership of the Serb parliamentary Coalition POVRATAK (Return) and the Chief of the Coordination Centre for Kosovo and Metohija Nebojsa Covic think that there are still no conditions for the return of Serbian MP's to the Kosovo Parliament.

Among the requested conditions are the OSCE monitoring of the parliamentary work and local municipal boards, excuse of the Parlieament speaker Nedzad who verbally attacked a Serb member of Parliament as well as better measures of protection from Albanian extremists.

On the meeting it was agreed to constitute a working group of the Coalition which would discuss these issues with the UNMIK chief Michael Steiner, KFOR Commander Gen. Fabio Mini and the OSCE Mission chief in Kosovo Pachal Fieschi.

"POVRATAK Coalition requests OSCE not only to monitor the work of Kosovo Parliament but also to extend monitoring on the work of local municipal assemblies which would prevent Serbs from majorization", said to SRNA Dr. Rada Trajkovic, the chief of the Povratak's caucus.

According to her Steiner's proposal to innitiate monitorin in the Kosovo Parlieament is a good idea but the monitoring must also involve a possibility to intervene which has to be clearly guaranted in the Parliament's statute.

Rada Trajkovic said that one of the requests is that the Parliament Speaker Nedzad Daci makes a public excuse to Gojko Savic and all other Serb MP's. "This is very important because after his brutal verbal attack on Savic a series of violent attacks ensued against the Serbian community and our cultural and historical monuments". "These attacks were clearly inspired by the position of Nedzad Daci towards the Serb parliamentarians", said Trajkovic mentioning two attacks on churches in Istok municipality, three attacks on Serbs in Vitina, today's bomb attack on the YU-program building in Obilic as well as stoning of a bus with Serb school children in Vucitrn municipality.

It was also said on the meeting that KFOR must return the fixed check-points to the entrances of the Serb enclaves, intensify protection of the Serbian holy sites and monasteries and reestablish regular escorts for the Serb school-children.

From UNMIK chief Michael Steiner and the OSCE MIssion chief Paschal Fieschi POVRATAK Coalition will request to work out efficient monitoring and control of the institutions as well as efficient measures for the protection from Albanian extremists on the ground.

"Without Serb members in the Parliament this institution is not legitimate. Everyone must be aware of this and everything should be done to make our return possible", concluded Rada Trajkovic.


=================================


JUSTICE FINALLY COMES
So called "Commander Remi" and Agim Ceku
responsible not only for crimes against Serbs but also for killing Kosovo Albanians

Truth that KLA was killing Kosovo Albanians too is emerging to the public

BETA

Kosovo Liberation Army leader indicted

PRISTINA -- Thursday _ The international prosecutor in Kosovo has indicted former Kosovo Liberation Army commander Rustem "Remi" Mustafa and another three members of the outlawed guerrilla organisation.

Mustafa, Ljatif Gasi, Nazif Mehemti and Naim Kadriu have been charged with eleven counts of consorting and conspiracy under Article 142 of the Yugoslav Penal Code.

Mustafa was arrested on August 11, while the other three defendants have been in custody since January 24.

The four are charged with both personal and command responsibility for the abduction, assault, torture and murder of Albanian civilians in Kosovo between August, 1998, and June, 1999.

Pristina daily Bota Sot has published the names of five Kosovo Albanians from the Podujevo district who it claims were illegally arrested and then killed by unidentified members of the KLA in the region where Mustafa and his troops operated.

==========================

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Former rebels indicted for war crimes in Kosovo
Thu Nov 21, 1:16 PM ET

By GARENTINA KRAJA, Associated Press Writer

PRISTINA, Yugoslavia - Four former ethnic Albanian rebels have been charged by an international prosecutor for war crimes committed during the province's armed conflict, an official said Thursday.

Rrustem Mustafa, better known by his alias "Remi," and three of his associates were formally charged for crimes including illegal detentions, inhumane treatment, torture and murder of civilians, said Izabella Karlowicz, a U.N. spokeswoman.

The indictment, the first of its kind against former ethnic Albanian guerrilla fighters, was filed on Tuesday.

It came four months after Mustafa was arrested by NATO (news - web sites)-led peacekeepers and U.N. police in the province's capital Pristina. Three of his wartime associates were rounded up in a separate operation in January.

Then officials said the four were arrested under suspicion of wrongdoing against at least five fellow ethnic Albanians during the war.

Mustafa was one of the most senior former commanders in the defunct Kosovo Liberation Army, the guerrilla force that fought against Yugoslav forces in the province's 1998-1999 armed conflict.

He and three other former rebels under arrest controlled the region of Podujevo, some 60 kilometers (38 miles) north of Pristina, known as "Llap."

Their arrest sparked protests by ethnic Albanian supporters throughout the province. The former rebels, who fought for the province's independence, are largely regarded heroes by their ethnic kin.

The province remains officially part of Yugoslavia, but has been administered by the United Nations (news - web sites) and NATO since mid-1999 when the alliance's air war halted a crackdown by Yugoslav forces on independence-minded ethnic Albanians.

International judges and prosecutors are mainly appointed to investigate and run sensitive cases in U.N.-run courts.

No date for trial has yet been set, but the four suspects will remain in custody, Karlowicz said.

==========================


ERPKIM Info-Service

CHURCH RESTORATION OR COVER UP OF A CRIME?

Representatives of the Diocese of Raska and Prizren visit damaged church in Djurakovac - Despite Bishop's request for an expert reconstruction UNMIK ordered a group of Albanian workers to cover by plaster the damage made by explosions

Gracanica November 20, 2002

Today representatives of the Diocese of Raska-Prizren and Kosovo-Metohija Protosyncelli Sava (Janjic) and Nektarije (Vorgucic) with a KFOR escort visited the Church of All Serbian Saints in Djurakovac which was damaged on November 17 in an attack by Albanian extremists. The representatives of the Church were met in Djurakovac in front of the damaged church by UNMIK deputy regional administrator Devender Singh and representatives of Spanish KFOR stationed in the area.

Three explosives were planted in the church in locations of great importance for the stability of the entire building. According to the local Spanish colonel the attack was carried out by explosives experts whose intention was not to completely destroy the church but to render it too damaged for normal use. On the basis of a discussion with UNMIK engineers the general conclusion is that the entire structure of the church has been seriously destabilized and that a detailed inspection of the building had to be conducted in order to begin restoration work. Unfortunately, despite yesterday_s explicit request by Bishop Artemije that no work on the restoration of the church be initiated without consultation with the Church Architect Prof. Ljubisa Folic and with the blessing of the Church, UNMIK had already upon orders of Michael Steiner brought a group of Albanians to the church who began repairing the damage. This work, however, seems more concerned with covering up the traces of the attack than with providing the professional reconstruction which is essential after three strong explosions in the interior of the church and which cannot be completed in three-four days. Especially worrisome is the fact that the representatives of the Church were not allowed to photograph the damage immediately after the attack.

The Diocese of Raska and Prizren is expressing its protest against this impetuous behavior by the head of UNMIK who without consulting with the Diocese and the architects who built the damaged church ordered work to begin on the church_s interior. It is the general conviction of the Diocese that this is a political marketing ploy because tomorrow a special team from UNMIK television is expected to film the work as an example of how UNMIK is restoring and repairing destroyed Serbian Orthodox churches. The real truth is that since the end of the war UNMIK has not supported reconstruction of a single one church and the KFOR is still opposed to reconstruction of one monastery in south of Kosovo. This behavior unfortunately is not leading to a true resolution of the problem and represents an accurate picture of the previous method of work of the UN Mission which for more than three years has not confronted actual problems nor resolved them but is instead attempting up to dress up reality and hide the truth about the situation in Kosovo and Metohija.

Information Service of the Diocese of Raska and Prizren
Kosovo and Metohija