Cracks on Albanian Extremists in Kosovo
former warlord and the present political leader
press about Haradinaj
13 Aug (B92) - UNMIK spokesperson Andrea Angeli announced
that an international prosecutor from Kosovo has raised
charges against Ramush Haradinaj, for posing a threat to
The charges stem from a July 2000 incident were Haradinaj
is accused of involvement in an exchange of fire with members
of the Musaj family, who supported the political opposition
of the Alliance for the Future of Kosovo (AAK), of which
Haradinaj is President. The Musaj family also implicates
Haradinaj in the disappearance of their family members.
13 Aug (BBC) - A senior ethnic Albanian Kosovo politician
has been charged by a UN court for violent behavior.
Ramush Haradinaj, a former leader of the Kosovo Liberation
Army (KLA), is accused along with five others of being involved
in a shooting dating back almost two years.
The indictment comes two months ahead of local elections.
Mr. Haradinaj is one of Kosovo's most high-profile politicians
and the leader of the province's third-largest ethnic Albanian
Rrustem "Remi" Mustafa Arrested
"Remi" Mustafa, left, former senior commander
of Kosovo rebels, speaks with the Commander of the Kosovo
Protection Corps, Agim Ceku, during a ceremony for the anniversary
of NATO troops entering Kosovo in Pristina in this June
11, 2000 file photo. Mustafa, an ethnic Albanian, was arrested
in the provincial capital, Pristina, in an operation led
by U.N. police, Sunday Aug. 11, 2002 for allegedly torturing
and murdering at least five captives, officials said. (AP
Photo/Visar Kryeziu, File)
text by Yahoo
about Rrustem "Remi" Mustafa
by Max Sinclair, Columbia University, November 1999
Link at Free Republic.com
against moderate Albanians, expulsion of population, etc...
Senior Rebel In Kosovo Arrested By U.N. Police, NATO
Pristina, 11 Aug (New Jersey Online) - A former senior commander
of Kosovo rebels was arrested by U.N. police and NATO peacekeepers
Sunday for allegedly torturing and murdering at least five
captives, officials said.
Rrustem Mustafa, an ethnic Albanian, was arrested in the provincial
capital, Pristina, in an operation led by U.N. police, said
Wing Cmdr. Drew Andersen, spokesman for the NATO-led peacekeeping
force in Kosovo.
Authorities did not disclose the ethnicities of the alleged
victims nor the period when the alleged crimes took place.
A United Nations statement only said a suspect was arrested
at the request of an international prosecutor.
"The investigation is focused on evidence linking the
suspect to the torture and murder of at least five illegally
detained persons," the statement said.
Mustafa, also known by his nom de guerre "Remi,"
was a senior commander of the Kosovo Liberation Army, the
rebel force that fought Serb police and the army for independence
in 1998-1999. He controlled Kosovo's northern region bordering
After the war, Mustafa became a high-ranking official with
the Kosovo Protection Corps created to handle civilian emergencies
after the U.N. and NATO took control of the province in June
1999. The group consists of former rebels.
Mustafa was suspended from the corps last year after President
Bush included him on a list of people viewed as a threat to
peace in the western Balkans and a threat to international
staff in the region.
Mustafa was among those accused of involvement in the Macedonian
insurgency of February 2001.
Bush's executive order, which also named three other corps
officials, also banned financial transactions with them.
Mustafa was dismissed in April after breaking the terms of
his suspension. At the time, officials would not disclose
details of the breach. (AP)
on KLA and their illegal criminal activities
Peacekeepers Arrest Suspected Extremists In Kosovo
12 Aug (VOA) - NATO peacekeepers in Kosovo have arrested three
suspected members of what are described as armed extremists
groups in the Yugoslav province. The arrests follow the detention
on Sunday of a former ethnic Albanian rebel commander.
The KFOR peacekeeping force in Kosovo said three extremists
were arrested in the provincial capital Pristina early Monday.
KFOR spokesman Drew Anderson said the three detainees posed
an immediate threat to security in the Kosovo area. He gave
no details about the ethnicity of the detainees, who were
taken to the largest United States military installation under
KFOR, known as Camp Bondsteel, some 50 kilometers south of
Mr. Anderson said peacekeepers have taken additional measures
to prevent extremist activity along the borders and administrative
boundaries of Kosovo.
The arrests come at a time when the peacekeepers have increased
efforts to combat extremism in the province, where ethnic
tensions have continued.
On Sunday, U.N. police backed by KFOR peacekeepers detained
a former commander of the ethnic Albanian Kosovo Liberation
Army. Rrustem Mustafa was taken into custody on charges of
murder and torture.
Last week, KFOR arrested 19 people, 13 of them described as
members of armed extremist groups, in a crackdown along the
border with neighboring Macedonia.
Spokesman Anderson told reporters that these earlier arrests
were not linked to the new detentions on Monday.
Kosovo was placed under a U.N. led administration in 1999,
after NATO bombing drove out the Serb forces of ex-President
Slobodan Milosevic in a bid to stop repression of the ethnic
Albanian majority in the troubled province.
Says Mustafa Should Be In The Hague
Pristina, 12 Aug (Tanjug) - Coordinating Center for Kosovo
and Metohija President Nebojsa Covic has said in a statement
for Tanjug that Rrustem Mustafa, the self-styled commander
Remi, and his fellow fighters of the so-called Kosovo Liberation
Army, should not face the provincial judicial organs for the
crimes and criminal activities they committed, but those in
"Official Belgrade had expected that KFOR and UNMIK police
members would have arrested Mustafa even sooner, because of
the crimes and criminal activities he committed during and
after the end of the war in Kosovo and Metohija, but it is
never too late," Covic said late Sunday, in reaction
to Mustafa's arrest in downtown Pristina.
of a Serbian Monk
Thoughts about the events during the last month
The text in PDF format
The land of Visoki Decani monastery under threat
- Albanian Institutions Continue with Repression Against
COURT IN DECANI ILLEGALLY TAKES AWAY MONASTERY LAND
Haki Balaj "annuls" decision of the Serbian Government
Decani, August 9, 2002
August 2, 2002, after nine consecutive sessions the muncipal
court in Decani, with Judge Haki Balaj presiding, annulled
the decision of the Government of the Republic of Serbia
from 1997 returning to the Monastery of Visoki Decani a
part of the land which was nationalized illegally and without
compensation in 1946.
more than three years there has been continuous pressure
from the Decani municipality to deprive the monastery brethren
of their right to use the land returned to the monastery
by a special contract with the Government of the Republic
of Serbia in 1997. This includes two land parcels totalling
23.45 hectares in immediately proximity to the monastery
which were, together with 700 additional hectares of monastery
property, illegally nationalized in 1946. For years the
monastery unsuccessfully sought to correct this injustice
and return at least a part of its property; however, the
local authorities had simply distributed the greater part
of the monastery land into the private hands of Albanians,
who built their houses on it.
on the two above mentioned and now contested land parcels
over time were the Visoki Decani Motel, in the forest immediately
above the monastery, and "Apiko", a small honey-packing
plant; both of these were abandoned and have been closed
since the beginning of the 1990's. Finally in 1997 the monastery
succeeded in getting these two land parcels and the buildings
on them back from the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
The contract with the Government of the Republic of Serbia
was duly processed and recorded in all relevant land registry
books, and the brethren began to use their property, which
had belonged to the Monastery of Visoki Decani for centuries.
the war the newly established Albanian municipal authorities
immediately contested the decision of the Government of
the Republic of Serbia and sought every possible means to
take away this land from the monastery. In 2000, because
of the firm position of the monastery brotherhood on the
property issue, two mortar attacks were launched against
the monastery in which, fortunately, no one was injured.
KFOR secured all monastery property and UNMIK head Dr. Bernard
Kouchner issued a special letter confirming the right of
the monastery to use its own land. However, the municipal
authorities pursued the matter and immediately filed a petition
which has, in the meanwhile, been transferred to the district
court in Pec, only to be bounced back to the municipal court
in Decani. The monastery brotherhood did not attend hearings
for the simple reason that the municipal court has no jurisdiction
in this type of case and because it considered such acts
on the part of local municipal authorities to be blatant
examples of institutional repression.
municipal court based its decision on unfounded facts and
inaccurate information with the intent of proving the illegality
of the decision of the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
Special significance was given to UNMIK Regulation 1999/24,
according to which all contracts concluded after March 22,
1989 are supposedly "illegal". The best evidence
of the arbitrary interpretation of this regulation is the
fact that the Albanians are not contesting any of the contracts
concluded in the last ten years which are to their benefit.
Monastery of Visoki Decani will seek protection from UNMIK
from blatant institutional repression waged against the
last remaining Serb enclave in Decani municipality. While
hundreds of hectares of privately-held land owned by Serbs
have been usurped by the Albanians and state-owned property
is being illegally appropriated left and right, UNMIK must
nevertheless seek to protect the legitimate rights of the
monastery which desires to preserve its property and which
is essential to its economic survival. The monastery will
also officially seek the assistance of the Government of
the Republic of Serbia which must not allow its decisions
to be annulled by court institutions without jurisdiction
Service of the Diocese of Raska and Prizren
Kosovo and Metohija,
A scene from
the Stimlje "horror hospital"
Belgrade daily, August 13, 2002
in the Hospital
The Church Requests Urgent Evacuation of Mistreated
10 Aug (Borba) - On Friday the Raska- Prizren eparchy of the
Serb Orthodox Church (SPC) has strongly condemned the "inhumane
acts of the Albanian medical staff " in Pristina and
Stimlje in reference to the condition of psychiatric institutions.
In its press release, SPC requested that the mistreated Serb
patients be immediately evacuated from Kosovo to Central Serbia.
The church is appealing to UNMIK to contact the proper institutions
from Central Serbia, so that the patients may be transferred.
the Report from the Guardian
10 Aug (Beta) - UNMIK representatives have confirmed the accusations
that they did not stop the harassment, sexual assault of the
mentally ill patients, and the dirty and humiliating conditions
in which they were kept. In an interview for the BBC, UNMIK
spokesperson Susan Manuel stated that the international civilian
mission in Kosovo had not received official reports of molestation.
She also announced a program for the proper education of their
mental health institution staff.
reveals shocking truth about UN run Kosovo's mental hospitals
which patients, mostly Serbs, are treated in most inhuman way
Albanian medical personnel
Orthodox Church Requests
Urgent Evacuation of Mistreated Serb Patients
from an Albanian held Mental Asylum in Stimlje and the Pristina
Old People's Home
'ignored' abuse at Kosovo mental homes
campaigners condemned the UN for continuing to fund refurbishment
of the institutions instead of integrating the patients
into community care programmes, but the official said money
was not available for such initiatives. In addition, the
patients were mostly ethnic Serbs, while the surrounding
community was mostly ethnic Albanian, and the patients might
be "abused or killed" if released.
is not in any way to excuse the bad circumstances in the
institutions, but it's not like New York or California."
But the official agreed that many ethnic Albanian staff
had "not been trained and probably [were] not very
sympathetic" to the patients.
Patients Were Even Sexually Abused by the Personnel
former patients there, along with a physician working for
another organisation, were also threatened by a staff member
to prevent them revealing that the staff member had had
sexual relationships with the two patients, the report said.
Repression continues despite UN and KFOR presence
BEAT UP SERB MAN IN NOVO BRDO
Everyday terror against remaining Serbs continues
August 8, 2002
August 7 two Albanians beat up Slavisa Djokic from the settlement
of Stara Kolonija in Novo Brdo municipality. Djokic was
attacked while standing near his house and talking with
a Serb neighbor. The attack occurred on the first day following
the withdrawal of the KFOR checkpoint from Novo Brdo. Slavisa
is one of the few remaining Serbs in Stara Kolonija and
lives here with his children. He is an employee of the Gnjilane
Forestry Office. The motives for the attack are unknown.
A report was filed with UNMIK police and KFOR and an investigation
is in progress.
Serbian farmers from Novo Brdo area constantly complain
that local Albanians keep stealing their cattle. Without
cattle, which is the only source of income for the poor
Serb farmers, some families have already left this area
seeking better life in Central Serbia. All incidents are
regularly reported to the UNMIK police but according to
the local Serbs perpertrators are never found.
DITORE PUBLISHES STATEMENT BY FAKE B92 REPORTER
presenting himself as a Radio B92 reporter claimed there
is no discrimination in Kosovo
August 8, 2002
August 6, 2002 the Albanian language dailies Koha Ditore,
published by well-know Pristina publicist Veton Surroi,
and Epoka i Re published the statement of someone called
Nenad Stojkovic who presented himself as a reporter for
Radio B92 in Belgrade. In his statement, published by the
Albanian dailies, Stojkovic stated that he feels as at home
in Kosovo as in his native Smederevo and that no one is
provoking or insulting him. Stojkovic further stated that
the Serb and Roma refugees from Kosovo and Metohija give
an entirely different version of events in the Province
than what he saw. "They think there is no life in Kosovo
for anyone except the Albanians. However, I am convinced
there is no discrimination here." Stojkovic adds that
he was under pressure from the previous Milosevic regime
for speaking the truth.
statement by Mr. Stojkovic might have really served as an
encouraging example and good news for all Serbs if the man
had not falsely presented himself as a B92 reporter. The
Information Service of the Diocese of Raska and Prizren
contacted B92 and determined that there is no one named
Nenad Stojkovic employed by this media corporation nor in
any sort of relationship with it.
MAYOR OF KLINA SAYS SERB RETURNEES ARE NOT WELCOME IN HIS
of Serbs in the Klina region village of Bicha uncertain
August 8, 2002
an article from August 8, 2002 the Albanian language daily
Bota Sot published a public statement by Ramo Manaj, the
mayor of Klina municipality, where he states that Serb returnees
are not welcome as long as the issue of missing Albanians
remains unresolved. According to Mr. Manaj, there are 135
of them missing just from this municipality. This statement
is in blatant contrast with the official policy of the Kosovo
Government which declared that Serb returns are welcome.
in the past in Kosovo and Metohija, there are two versions
of the story: one for the international community and Western
media, and another for local Serbs whose lives are made
miserable in every possible way. It remains to be seen how
the first 15-odd Serbs in Bicha will survive surrounded
by intolerant local Albanians. The UNMIK daily police report
of August 8 confirmed that on this day three masked and
armed Albanians intercepted the truck of a local Albanian
transporting sand and gravel to be used for the restoration
of Serb houses in Bicha. The truck driver was told that
he would be killed if he continued assisting Serb returnees.
The search for the masked men is still ongoing.
Behaviour of UNMIK Police in Gracanica
August 7, 2002
Abbess Efrosinija leads three
novices before the Bishop
POLICE HUMILIATED OLD GRACANICA ABBESS - MOTHER EFROSINIA
Abbess Of Gracanica Monastery Held For Questioning, Suspected
Of Growing Cannabis - The next day Police confirmed that the cannabis
plants were just weeds
in South Mitrovica, photo Reuters
Is Mitrovica a Divided City Today
an editorial by Fr. Sava Janjic
Cannot Be Built on Ethnic Discrimination
and Rule of Violence - KOSOVO
extremism in Kosovo cannot be a solid basis for a democratic and
multiethnic Kosovo, a photo from a rally of Albanian extremists,
Pristina, summer 2002
at a memorial service to the victims of the
"Storm" Operation of the Croatian Army in which many innocent
Serbs were brutally killed, August 4 - St. Mark's church, Belgrade
Saturday, August 03, 2002
attack shown - Albanian extremists still active
PRESSURE ON SERBS
of the plan for new ethnic cleansing in Kosovsko Pomoravlje
Attack on three Serbian houses in Klokot, near Kosovska
Vitina, three days ago, accidentally or not, happened immediately
after this very village had been marked by the American contingent
of KFOR as a sample of safety, and thus with no need for further
Sava Janjic commenting the attack in Klokot said that disbanding
of checkpoints, visible protective military infrastructure
around Serb enclaves - especially churches and monasteries
- and reducing the number of convoy escorts for Serbian people
proved to be wrong strategy which failed to improve security
and safety of life and movement but actually encouraged the
extremists to press harder against the unprotected civilians
is Serbian village, in the midst of Urosevac-Gnjilane road.
Vesko Piric, mayor of Vitina before KFORs arrival to
the Province says that the village had to have strong protection
especially because it is located near another two Serbian
communities Vrbovac and Grncar. Therefore every attack
on Klokot brings the neighboring Serbs into danger.
fears are that this incident is part of a wider plan for expelling
the rest of 1,000 Serbs and provoking the crises in the whole
region, since Klokot is close to the border with Macedonia,
Mr, Piric expressed his anxiety and added that terrorists
would utilise this area as a route to Skopska Crna Gora in
Macedonia. How substantial his fears are shows the news from
Macedonia about the new Albanian terrorist organisation.
deployment of KFOR in Kosovo Albanian terrorists have killed
ten Serbs and kidnapped two of them in Klokot. Large number
of houses have been burned but in spite of that Serbs have
remained here relying on help of American soldiers, which
themselves do not feel safe now, as it was proved three days
ago, opposite to all previous beliefs.
the area of Vitina municipality since 1999 until now 17 previously
Serbian villages have been ethnically cleansed, 59 Serbs have
been killed, 5 kidnapped, more than 1,000 houses burned. Albanian
terrorists demolished churches in Grmovo, Binac, Podgora and
Zitinja, and even monastery St. Archangel Gabriel in Buzovik
village (10-12th century) was not spared.
by D. Mitrovic)
AND COVIC IN THE SECURITY COUNCIL