Monastery of St. Apostle Mark
Monastery of St. Mark of Korisa is located on a rock above the river Korisa, in the vicinity of Prizren. According to a preserved manuscript, the monastery was constructed by "Jonah Vlahic and Branko Vlahic in 1467". In 1520 it was mentioned in Turkish documents. It was abandoned in the 16th century. The monastery was restored and re-inhabited in the 17th century. In 1765, monk Neophytus brought numerous books from Decani. Parthenios the monk is mentioned in 1779, when he joined the monastery of St. Mark of Korisa and presented the monastery with a book. A large collection of manuscripts, some 20 of them, are preserved in the monastery, as well as other books, among which the ronowned Decani Code. In 1915, during the First World War, the monastery was devastated, the living quarters were set on fire, the church was plundered, and the monks were partly expulsed and partly killed. This crime was committed by the Moslem Albanians from the neigboring village of Kabash. The monastery was restored after the war, but was once more devastated by Nazi Albanians in 1941, when the province of Kosovo and Metohija was occupied by Albania with the support of Hitler and Mussolini.. After World War II, the monastery was not inhabeted by monks, due to permanent thrat of Albanian attacks. The Orthodox Seminary in Prizren and the Diocese of Raska and Prizren took care of this holy shrine.
The church of St. Mark of Korisa has the appearance of a one-naved building of rectangular shape. In 1861, Sima Andrejevic Igumanov, a great benefactor of the Orthodox Seminary in Prizren, constructed a belfry on the west side. The belfry had two bells, which Igumanov obtained in Russia. In 1941, the Albanians threw the bells down the rocks and took them away. The tomb of Sima Andrejevic Igumanov is still located between the church and the belfry. (the tomb has been destroyed when the monastery was blown up by explosive in 1999).
Only fragments of the original fresco painting are preserved. The hermitage of St. Mark of Korisa is located in a place difficult to access, on the nothern side above the monastery. In 1998, with the blessing of Bisho Artemije, Fr. Miron and Fr. Amvrosije built a little hut near the monastery in order to renew monastic life in this monastery. Unfortunately, as soon as the Kosovo war broke they had to leave and the monastery was completely destroyed in a powerful blast in June 1999, immediately after the end of war and the arrival of German (NATO) peacekeepers in the area. The monastery remains in ruins now.
The scenes of destruction
OF OUR DIOCESE
Decani / Gracanica / Sopocani / Pecka Patrijarsija /
Home Page - KOSOVO THE LAND OF THE LIVING PAST