July 22, 2003

ERP KIM Newsletter 22-07-03b

INCREASE OF VIOLENCE FILLS KOSOVO WITH FEAR


Fanning nationalism as a way to evade responsibility for crimes
A scene from a pro-KLA Albanian  rally in Kosovo, July 16,  (AP Photo/Visar Kryeziu)

CONTENTS:

NO INJURIES AS TERRORIST LAUNCH MORE KOSOVO ATTACKS IN LIPLJAN AND VITINA
PLANTED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE DEACTIVATED NEAR LIPLJAN - SERBS IN FEAR
POLICE DEFUSES BOMB IN PRISTINA MARKET
ATTACK ON TWO GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS IN PRISTINA - COMMENTS AND REACTIONS
RONDORF: THESE INCIDENTS GIVE DARK PICTURE OF KOSOVO AND FRIGHTEN FOREING INVESTORS
14 KOSOVO ALBANIANS ARRESTED FOR MARCHING IN KLA UNIFORMS


More News Available on our:

KOSOVO DAILY NEWS LIST (KDN)
KDN Archive

This newsletter is available on our ERP KIM Web-site:
/erpkiminfo.html


NO INJURIES AS TERRORIST LAUNCH MORE KOSOVO ATTACKS - RPG GRANATE HITS MINORITY HOME IN LIPLJAN - HAND GRENADE ON SERB HOME IN VITINA

TOP

Beta News Agency, other media
July 22, 2003


PRISTINA/VITINA -- Tuesday – A handheld rocket-launcher was discharged in Lipljan, around 10 miles south of Pristina, last night.

According to Kosovo police spokesman Refki Morina, no one was harmed in the incident and the situation has been brought under control. According to Morina the target of this attack was a Roma (Ashkalia) minority home.

Meanwhile, a hand grenade was hurled at the Vitina home of Radojko Dajic at around eight pm yesterday.

The device did not explode and, after Dajic informed the authorities, KFOR and the Kosovo police destroyed the grenade in a controlled explosion.

TOP


PLANTED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE DEACTIVATED BETWEEN NOVO SELO AND SERB PART OF LIPLJAN

TOP

KIM RADIO
LIPLJAN, JULY 20, 2003

UNMIK police and KFOR deactivated an explosive device planted on the road between the Serb village of Novo Selo and the Serb-inhabited part of Lipljan, KIM Radio's correspondent in Lipljan Stanimir Smilic reports. KFOR and UNMIK have not issued any statement to date. Fear and unrest have spread among the local Serb population as a result of this incident.

After a short investigation police said that the mine remained in the road after the war. But the local Serbs do not seem to be convinced because the road has been often used in the last four years and it is impossible that the mine did not explode in the meantime.

TOP


POLICE DEFUSES BOMB IN PRISTINA MARKET

TOP

BETA News agency
PRISTINA, JULY 20, 2003


Pristina - Members of KFOR, UNMIK police and the Kosovo police forced defused a hand grenade planted underneath a stand at the farmer's market in Pristina on Sunday morning. Police representatives advised that they do not know who planted the explosive device at this time. UNMIK police spokesman Barry Fletcher told local media that citizens frequently leave hand grenades in the street out of fear that KFOR troops will find them in their houses, and he called on citizens to turn in their arms without fear of arrest. Fletcher assessed that the security situation in Kosovo is stable, citing that during the course of the last week there was not one murder in Kosovo.


TOP


ATTACK ON TWO GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS IN PRISTINA - COMMENTS AND REACTIONS IN K/ALBANIAN PRESS

TOP

Media Monitoring
July 22, 2003


The UNMIK CIVPOL spokesman Barry Flatcher stated to journalists on Monday that the attacks carried out by the hand mortar on the District court building and by the hand grenade on the police station number 2 in Pristina, represent direct attacks on two Government buildings.

The attacks took place late in the evening on Sunday and according to the 10-15 minutes time interval between them, it can be concluded that the attacks were coordinated. First, the District court building had been targeted from the hand mortar. The projectile hit the outside wall of the court causing the material damage to the building only , and breaking the windows on the surrounding houses. The second attack was executed on the building of the police station number two in the capital of Kosovo, when a hand grenade was thrown into the yard of this police station, only damaging one police car. The headquarters of the police unit dealing in investigation of serious criminal activities and offenses is situated in this building.

The attacks on the District court and the police station occurred only four days after the Llap group trial ended and the verdict of the international criminal council of the District court in Pristina given to the four members of the former Kosovo Liberation Army (UCK), by which they have been sentenced to 45 years of imprisonment. This verdict has been met with very severe reactions of that part of the Albanian public, identifying themselves with the UCK. The day after the verdict to the members of the Llap group was pronounced, a hand grenade exploded near the police station in Podujevo, where the Llap group members are from, causing only material damage.

According to the spokesman Barry Fletcher, the motives for the attack on the District court and the police station number 2 in Pristina are still not known, since no one has taken the responsibility for the attacks so far. He said that for the present nobody has been arrested or suspected regarding those attacks, adding that the police has no intention to take some huge action on the occasion of the attacks.

"The attacks are not accidental. We do not know who did that. It can be the expression of the discontent with the verdict against the former UCK combatants, but it also can be the attack executed by the ordinary criminals. However, since the attacks on the Government buildings are in question, we have been conducting the intensive investigation", said Barry Fletcher.

Agency KosovaLive carries the statement of Barry Fletcher that the police and judiciary have been warned to step up the security measures upon the completion of the Llap group trial. We have been aware that such things could happen once the verdict was read. Due to these reasons, the security has been tightened in some places, said Barry Fletcher.
After the attacks on the District court and the police station 2, very strong police forces had made the blockade around the attacked buildings which lasted till the early morning hours. Electronic media report that the police and KFOR combined units have had under their control all exit points leading from the capital of Kosovo.

Feller Assesses the Attacks as Cowardice

Radio Kosova reports that the UNMIK CIVPOL commissar Stefan Feller assessed on Monday the attacks on the District court and the police station 2 in the capital of Kosovo as the act of a coward. Feller stressed that those two explosions might be connected with the earlier incidents that occurred in Kosovo. Radio Television Kosova (RTK) carries that the UNMIK CIVPOL commissar said the two unknown persons had demolished five vehicles belonging to the UNMIK police on Sunday night, because of which police control has been intensified not only in the capital but throughout Kosovo as well.

"The data gathered so far give clear indications that there is the connection existing between some of those incidents. There are speculations, as well, that these incidents can be connected to the District court in Pristina verdict to the Llap group a few day ago", said Stefan Feller.

Rugova: Police Should Prevent Such Criminal Acts

The Kosovo President Ibrahim Rugova severely condemned on Monday the explosions which had taken place in Pristina on Sunday evening. "These explosions are aimed at causing the uneasiness and anxiety among the citizens as well as at damaging the positive image of the Kosovo capital as the secure place", assessed Rugova. He stated that such criminal acts should be prevented by the police and cleared up by the Kosovo judiciary.


Government Condemns the Attacks

The Kosovo Government, stating that although it is not in the possession of all official information regarding the Sunday night explosions in Pristina, it severely condemns each form of violence which endangers the order and security in Kosovo.

The criminal elements and structures try to endanger political and security situation, to damage the Kosovo image at the international level and to spread permanent insecurity, assesses the Government, pointing out that such events can only be for the benefit of the Serbian politicians and those state circles, interested in creating the chaos and political and economic stagnation in Kosovo.

Inviting the police to take all the necessary measures to clear up these attacks and arrest their perpetrators, the Government has appealed to the Kosovo citizens to take part in the security service as well in the positive movements in Kosovo.

In the end of its statement given to media on Monday, the Government stressed that it is decisive in establishing the law and order in Kosovo for all the citizens, regardless of their nationality, because only in that way the prosperity and positive climate can be secured enabling the future as per the European standards.

PDK: Llap Group Trial Politically Motivated

At the consultations with the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK) municipal branches’ presidents, held on Monday, the PDK secretary general Jakup Krasniqi pointed out that despite the sincere trials of domestic factors to give their contribution to the stabilization of conditions in Kosovo, some acts of the international administration, like the trial to the Llap group members, show that someone in this administration cares much more for the fulfillment of the Belgrade aspirations than for to the progress in Kosovo. It was assessed, at these consultations, that the Llap group trial, being the political one, will not help progress and piece in Kosovo.

Epoka e re: Explosions Imply Warning Message

Daily Epoka e re, close to the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK), stated on Monday that the explosions in Pristina on Sunday night, imply the warning message, since they were executed during the weekend and that none of the security forces’ personnel was being targeted but buildings only.

Pointing out that the members of the UNMIK police, Kosovo Police Service and the KFOR have had "the fever" following the explosions in front of the District court and the police station, the daily concludes that the explosions have shaken the whole city.


TOP


RONDORF: THESE INCIDENTS GIVE A DARK PICTURE OF KOSOVO AND FRIGHTEN FOREIGN INVESTORS

TOP

Dailies, TV21, Zeri, Koha Ditore (K/Albanian)
February 8, 2003

REACTIONS ON EXPLOSION

German Office Head Rondorf strongly condemned yesterday’s attacks that occurred near the Regional Court and Police Station No. 2 as well as the hand grenade explosion near Assembly speaker’s house Daci.

"These incidents give a dark picture of Kosovo abroad and frighten foreign investors," Mr Rondorf said. He added that Justice and Police will not allow to get intimidated by such attacks in accomplishing their tasks. Rondorf also criticised the recent statements of some politicians and comments of some newspapers after the verdict was read out to the Llapi Group.

"The information that someone attacked Daci’s house or that any incident happened there is absolutely untrue," said Daci’s advisor Ramush Tahiri. He said that no one threatened Daci. Zeri’s sources said that a blind bullet hit a window of a Daci’s neighbour, but the bullet probably came from a wedding held on the suburb that is in front of them.  

Kosovo political parties and citizens condemned the explosions also. LDK spokesperson Lulzim Zeneli and Naim Maloku AAK strongly condemned the explosions on behalf of their parties. "Whoever is behind these attacks, they are unacceptable for Kosovo institutions. They do not help Kosovo, its institutions and war values," said Rexhep Hoti, a PM’s advisor. He added, "we should say all the things institutionally.""All these incidents jeopardise people’s security and wealth. Therefore, Kosovo institutions condemn them as damaging acts that are against stability and the work of Kosovo institutions," Thahiri said.

TOP


14 KOSOVO ALBANIANS ARRESTED FOR MARCHING IN KLA UNIFORMS
ERP KIM info service subarticle

TOP

KOSOVA SOT K/Albanian daily
July 22, 2003

The regional police in Prizren reported on Monday that they arrested 14 people from Orahovac, charged with violating a public order, because they marched in this town wearing the UCK (KLA) uniform. Bekim Shasivari, the regional spokesperson for the KPS in Prizren said today that the 14 people who were arrested last weekend at the ceremony of the fifth anniversary of the UCK offensive in Orahovac have been released. But the courts will issue an indictment for violation of public order, because of marching with the KLA uniform.

"The march was not allowed. The police informed the organisers that they were not allowed to march in the KLA uniforms, but 70-80 persons continued the march," said Shasivari.

TOP


ERP KIM Info-Service is the official Information Service of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Raska and Prizren and works with the blessing of His Grace Bishop Artemije.
Our Information Service is distributing news on Kosovo related issues. The main focus of the Info-Service is the life of the Serbian Orthodox Church and the Serbian community in the Province of Kosovo and Metohija. ERP KIM Info Service works in cooperation with www.serbian-translation.com as well as the Kosovo Daily News (KDN) News List

Disclaimer:
The views expressed by the authors of newspaper articles or other texts which are not official communiqués or news reports by the Diocese are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of the Serbian Orthodox Church

If you received this message by error or you don`t want to receive our e-mails anymore, please write to us: erpkim@kosovo.net

Our Newsletters are available on our ERP KIM Info-service Web-Page:
/erpkiminfo.html

Additional information on our Diocese and the life of the Kosovo Serb Community may be found at:

Copyright 2003, ERP KIM Info-Service