Duboki Potok Monastery
Duboki Potok Monastery is situated on the hillside above villages of Dobrosevina and Citluk in Zubin Potok municipality. The church of the Holy Theotokos (Virgin Mary) was erected in the 14th and was reconstructed in the 16th century. This monastery was the most important spiritual center for the Orthodox Serb population of this area, especially in the period of Ottoman occupation and enforced islamization. The church was repaired in the 18th century from which we have a written testimony by priest Jovan from Novi Pazar. In this period the relics (a part of the hand) of St. Nicetas were brought to Duboki Potok by one monk from Patriarchate of Pec monastery. In the 19th century the monastery was visited by many pilgrims on major feastdays. In that period larger residental buildings were constructed around the church. In 1930 and 1938 additional reconstruction work was done in the church and a small narthex was added with a bellfry.
The monastery of Duboki Potok is also known for its collection of medieval hand written books (14-16th) century as well as icons from the 19th century. But the most important treasure of the monastery are its holy relics of St. Nicetas and Ss. Cosmas and Damian. The monastery played an important role as a missionary and educational center, especially by the end of 19th century. In 1891 the first Serb school was opened in Duboki Potok. Fr. Joseph Spasic from Pristina was the first teacher. Unfortunately the building of the first school was destroyed in a fire during the Second World War (1944). A new "konak" was built in 1951.
After the war in Kosovo 1998-1999 Bishop Artemije decided to send to Duboki Potok the exiled brotherhood of the Zociste monastery, near Orahovac. At the moment in Duboki Potok live and pray 5 monks with Fr. Romil, the abbot.
HOLY RELICS OF DUBOKI POTOK MONASTERY
ICONS OF DUBOKI POTOK MONASTERY
OF OUR DIOCESE
Decani / Gracanica / Sopocani / Pecka Patrijarsija /