The Monastery of Archangel Gabriel - Draganac was mentioned for the first time by Serbian Prince Lazar in his charter in 1381. The early past of this monastery is not well known. The new monastery church was built on the site of the older one between1865 and 1869 and was dedicated to St. Archangel Gabriel. The erection of the church was supported by Prince Michael who donated 100 ducats. In the monastery there was soon established one of the first local grammar schools. In front of the monastery there is a spring which is believed to be healing. After the Second World War Draganac monastery was converted into an orphanage. In the last decades the monastery was deserted and it was only in 1997 that the monastic life was renewed again. Thanks to the neighboring people the old residental quarter was reconstructed.
The monastery survived the war 1998-1999 without any damage because it is situated in the mostly Serb inhabited eastern part of Kosovo Region. At the moment two priestmonks and one novice live in the monastery which continues to act as a spiritual and missionary center for the Serbs of this area.
OF OUR DIOCESE
Decani / Gracanica / Sopocani / Pecka Patrijarsija /