Kosovo Crucified

DESTRUCTION

OF THE SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES
IN KOSOVO AND METOHIJA

Part 2

St. Archangel Gabriel's Monastery in Binac (nr. Vitina), built in 14th century, set on fire and almost completely destroyed, June 1999. On Dec 13 the church was destroyed by explosive and now only rubble remains.

The church before it was mined
The Monastery of Binac
Destroyed Monk's House
The church after destruction
Desecrated Altar in the Church
The Interior of St. Gabriel's Church

The scenes of the shrine destroyed by Albanian extremists

St Uros Monastery with the church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin in Sarenik, Gornje Nerodimlje (near Urosevac). The monastery and the church were built by the Serbian Empress Helen in the 14th century, west of Gornje Nerodimlje. It was completely destroyed by Albanian extremists in summer 1999 after the arrival of US KFOR troops in the area.


Destroyed monastery

Sv. Uros Monastery destroyed
Sv. Uros Monastery
A view of the destruction

The ruins of the monastery lay surrounded by the natural beauty of the area

The Church of the Holy Virgin in Korisa, near Prizren. The church was a single-dome building covered with large stone tiles. The apse contained a painting that stylistically belonged to the 16th -17th century. The remains of the frescoes were rather well preserved, except for the fresco of The Holy Mother with Christ that was riddled with bullets fired by the Shqiptar infidel. The church also housed the 19th century icons and liturgical vessels. The church and the cemetery were destroyed by Albanian extremists in summer 1999, after the KFOR deployment

Church in Korisa
Medieval church in ruins


The Holy Trinity Church in Ratis (nr. Decani), built in 1922, destroyed in 1941 and reconstructed in 1992. In summer 1997the church was set on fire by Albanian extremists and was reconstructed again. In June 1999 the church was finally mined and completely destroyed.

The Interior of the church before the destruction
The interior of the church before the destruction
Iconostas and icons were the work of Decani monks

The mined church of St. Trinity
The ruble has only remained
A cross in the ruins
Destroyed Chalice and the Paten

The scenes of destruction and desecration

The Church of St Mark in Klina (Metohia), was erected on the foundations of the old church of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin. It was heavily damaged by Albanian extremists after the arrival of the Italian KFOR troops in the area, in summer 1999

The Church of St. Mark in Klina
Scene of destruction

The church in Klina with the desecrated Orthodox cemetery


The new church of St Nicholas of the Summer, in Gornje Nerodimlje, was built on the ancient foundations in 1983. It was set vandalized and set on fire in July 99 after the arrival of US KFOR troops in the area

The church before attack
Damage inside the church
A mine laid by Albanian terrorists



The Presentation of the Virgin parish church in Bijelo Polje (nr. Pec), built in 16th century (reconstructed in 19th century), looted and set on fire, end of June 1999.

The Interior of the Vandalized Church
The Parish Home Near the Church
The Altar

Holy Icons Smashed On the Floor
Books and Icons on the Floor
Destroyed Tombstone of a Priest

The Fire Was Set In the Middle of the Church The village of Bijelo Polje near Pec was one of the largest Serb villages in Kosovo. Immediately after the war Albanian militants persecuted all Serb inhabitants after sloughter of three elderly Serbs. The entire village was burned to the ground despite the presence of Italian army.



St. John the Baptist church in Samodreza, near Vucitrn, reconstructed in 1932, vandalized and set on fire, end of June 1999.
This church was built on the location of the old medieval church where, according to the tradition, St. Prince Lazar and his knights received their last communion before the Kosovo Battle in 1389.

The Entrance Door
The Torched Walls
The UCK Signs on the Wall
The Church Bell

The Outside View of the Vandalized Church
The Attackers' Graffiti
The Bishop in Front of His Church


St. Elija's parish church in Vucitrn, built in 1834, vandalized and looted, June 1999.

The Icons Smashed on the Floor

St. Elijah's Church in Vucitrn

 The Vandalized Altar of the Church

A Desecrated Icon


St. Eliah's Church (near Djakovica) reconstructed in 1994 vandalized and damaged by an explosion, end of June 1999

The Smashed Icons In Front of the Church
The Vandalized Interior of the Church
Inside the St. Eliah's Church


The Holy Trinity church in Velika Reka village (nr. Vucitrn), built in 1998, vandalized and set on fire. June 1999

 The Holy Trinity Church Before Destruction

 The Church Devastated by Fire

Velika Reka church
The church in Velika Reka finally destroyed, August 2000

(PHOTO 369 Kb)The Holy Trinity Church in Velika Reka, destroyed, 19 Aug 2000
More information on the previous attacks on the church

Holy Virgin's parish church in Djurakovac (nr. Pec), built in 1997, vandalized in July 1999,

The Vandalized Church
A Torn Icon On the Desecrated Altar
The Parish Home Destroyed By Fire


The Orthodox Cemetery Chapel and the Cemetery in Mitrovica, vandalized and desecrated in the beginning of July 1999

The Cemetery Chapel in Mitrovica
Desecrated Orthodox Graves

St. Uros church in Urosevac, built in 1933, vandalized and set on fire, end of June 1999

The Vandalized Urosevac Cathedral
The Holy Icons Were Systematically Smashed
desecrated cemetery
desecrated cemetery

Desecrated cemetery in Urosevac

The parish church St. Eliah in Zegra, near Gnjilane, 1931, vandalized and set on fire by the local Albanians. The local graveyard is also desecrated.

Destroyed church and the graveyard
The interior before destruction
The interior of the church after destruction
 
Only walls have remained
The Holy Table


St. Elias Church in Smac, 1996, near Prizren, damaged by explosive and vandalized in July 1999. In the meantime the church has been completely razed down. Latest photos are not available.

Damaged church in Smac
Inside the Sanctuary
Desecrated and damaged icons
The Iconostasis is almost completely destroyed

 St. Parasceva Church - heavily damaged
  St. Parasceva Church, (near Vitina) 15th century, set on fire and heavily damaged by explosive.

The parish church in Grmovo, near Vitina, first it was set on fire and then completely destroyed by explosive.


The church before destruction
The church before destruction


Leveled to the ground
The ruins of the church in Grmovo

 

The Church of St Nicholas was once in the village of Gatnje (Urosevac), east of today's Gornja Mahala. The new church, which was built on the old foundations in 1985, was looted, vandalized and seriously damaged by explosive (the altar area).

Gatnnje Church
Altar Area The Martyred Icon of Christ


The church of St. Nicolas in Kijevo, near Klina, 14th century, completely destroyed by explosive

Kijevo church in ruins (14 c.)
Kijevo church in ruins (14 c.)

 

St Eliah Church in Podujevo, built in 1930, demolished in 1941, restaured in 1971. In July 1999 the church was vandalized by the Albanian extremists.

Podujevo church - outside view
The vandalized altar
The part of the iconostasis was set on fire
The signature of the UCK vandals on the icon of St. Sava

 Novake Church
 The parish church in Novake village, near Prizren, vandalized and damaged. In the meantime the church as well as all Serb houses were completely destroyed. The latest photos are not available.


Damaged church in PomazatinThe Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah in Pomazatin, on the left bank of the river Drenica and 12 km west of Pristina, was erected in 1937. Pulled down in 1941 but renewed in 1964. During 1982-1985 the doors and windows were wrecked. The roof and the interiors were burnt. During the summer 1999 after the KFOR arrival the church was damaged by Albanians. In a powerful explosion which rocked the city of Pristina the church was completely destroyed on July 16, 2000.

Destroyed Serb Orthodox church
SERB ORTHODOX CHURCH NEAR PRISTINA BLOWN UP, JULY 16
The ruins of the church in Pomazatin, July 2000

The 14th century Church of St George, in Rudnik near Srbica, was restored in the 16th century during the reign of Patriarch Makarije Sokolovic. Frescoes date from the same period. East of the church is a few-hundred-years-old mulberry-tree, planted from a seedling which St Sava had brought from Zion. The church was seriously damaged by explosive.

The church in Rudnik
Damage is visible in the altar part


The Church of St Archangel, in Musutiste. It was set on fire and was partially destroyed by the local Albanians in summer 1999, after the KFOR deployment.

The church before destruction
The church after destruction

The Church of St Parasceva, in the village of Zaskok near Urosevac, was mined and completely destroyed after the arrival of KFOR troops in summer 1999.

Destroyed church in Zaskok
The ruins of the church

 

The Church of St Nicholas, in the village of Zociste near Urosevac, was mined and completely destroyed after the arrival of KFOR troops in summer 1999.

The ruined church in Zociste village
Fr. Antony and Fr. Peter in front of the ruined church

 


Foreward to the Publication on Destruction of Orthodox Shrines
Metropolitan Amfilohije's Speech on CRUCIFIED KOSOVO
Bishop Artemije's Speech on DESTROYED CHURCHES
Crucified Heritage, by Prof. Ljubisa Folic

Appeal of the Serbian Orthodox Church, Dec 6
Another Medieval Monastery Destroyed in Kosovo, Dec 6
THE KOSOVO EXODUS CONTINUES, IWPR, JAN 25, 2000
St. Elias Church near Gnjilani destroyed on Jan 14, 2000