AND DESECRATED CHRISTIAN ORTHODOX SHRINES IN KOSOVO AND METOHIJA
This list is not complete and contains only most important churches and monasteries. The final number of desecrated shrines has risen to more than 100 in the meanwhile. The diocese is working on detailed documentation of destructions together with UNESCO and the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Serbia.
1. The Monastery of the Holy Trinity was built in the 14th century on the Rusinica hill above Musutiste, 2 km to the south. The building, which dated back to the year 1465, housed a valuable collection of manuscripts from 14 th to 18 th centuries. There were also a hand-written apostle from the 14 th century and a collecton of icons from the 19th century-1868-1985. The monastery was plundered, burnt and then levelled with the ground by explosives.
2. The church of the Holy Virgin Odigitriya, in Musutiste, was built as a foundation by Dragoslav, the then chief court governor of the estate, and his family, in 1315, about 10 km to the south-east of Suva Reka. The founder's inscription above the entrance was one of the oldest and most beautiful Serbian epigraphic texts of its kind. It was a building with a semi-dome, an inscribed cross in the ground plan and had a semi-round apse. The wall was built of alternating rows of bricks and stone cubes. The frescoes of the Musutiste School, painted between 1316 and 1320 and famed for their plasticity and the saints' typology were known as the best examples of Serbian art. That earned them a place in the company of other mature artistic works of the Paleologists era from the first quarter of the 14th century. The altar area contained a unique portrait of a South-Slav educator, St Clement of Ohrid. In the north-western corner of the naos there were figures of holy women, the warriors St Theodore Tyre and St Theodore Stratilates, angels, and St Paneteleimon. Two throne icons of Christ and The Holy Virgin dated back to the year 1603. Accompanying items were plundered, burnt and consequently mined.
3. The medieval monastery of St Mark of Korisa used to stand on a rocky outpost above the Korisa river, 3 km southeast of the village of Korisa. The church was built in 1467 with a single-nave, a rectangular foundation and a preserved fragment of the original, ancient fresco. On the western side, above the rock, a belfry with two bells was added in 1861 thus becoming a foundation of Sima Andrejevic Igumanov. In April 1941, the Kabasani Shqiptars forcibly tore out the bells and repeatedly desecrated and vandalized the founder's grave. The monastery housed a major book collection. It was robbed and burnt prior to having been completely destroyed by explosives.
4. The monastery of St Archangel Gabriel, also known under the names of Binac and Buzovik, was built in the 14th century. It was located some 4-5 km south of Vitina, at the spring of the river Susica. The church had a rectangular foundation, a semi-round apse and a semi-cylindrical vault. There were two layers of frescoes, one on top of each other. The newer layer, from the 16th century, showed archbishops at liturgy. In 1867 Albanians slaughtered the priest. After that the monastery stood abandoned only to be renewed at the beginning of the 20th century. A number of the 14th century liturgical vessels were kept in the church. The Monastery was first looted and set on fire. On September 13 the monastery church was completely destroyed by explosive.
-Drenica (south of Srbica)- the church of the Presentation of
the Holy Virgin was built around the year 1434 by the Despot Djuradj
Brankovic to commemorate his daughter Devica's recovery from an illness
and was named after her. (The name Devica is congruent with the word
devica, which means virgin). It was built on the original site where
St Joannicius's, the first founder, small church once stood. The monastery
was restored on several occasions and consisted of a number of churches
dedicated to the Presentation of The Holy Virgin, St Joannicius and
St George. The monastery used to have four churchs that, together with
the konaks (residential quarters), were looted, desecrated, mined and
destroyed by the Shqiptars terrorists in 1941 when the Italians occupied
Kosmet. The monastery used to house a rich collection of manuscripts
and printed books. There was also a scriptorium within the monastery
complex. The entire ancient, as well as the 19th and 20th century, Devic
books, including the iconostasis with icons, were lost in a fire. At
the same time the recluse of St Joannicius of Devic, on the hill north
of the monastery, was wrecked as was the spring in a ravine below the
6. The Monastery of St Uros, with the Church of the Ascension of The Holy Virgin, was built by the Empress Helen at the end of the 14th century, uphill and west of Gornje Nerodimlje, in the small village of Sarenik. In 1647-49 Patriarch Paisios bequeathed the manuscript of the hagiography of the Emperor Uros to the monastery. The monastery was mined and destroyed.
and the Church of St Archangels, in Gornje Nerodimlje, were
built in the 14th century and renewed in the year 1700. The monastery
was burnt and looted.
8. The new church of St Nicholas of the Summer, in Gornje Nerodimlje, was built on the ancient foundations in 1983. It was a single-nave building with an altar apse and a smallish dome. In front of it, facing west, there stood a one-hundred-years-old oak tree where the congregation used to gather even in the times when the church was in ruins. The church was vandalized, burnt and mined.
9. The Church of St Stephen In Donje Nerodimlje, in the river Nerodimka valley, 5 km west of Urosevac from the 14th century, renewed in 1996. It was vandalized, burnt and finally mined in summer 1999, after the war and NATO deployment.
church of The Holy Virgin (also known as the Holy Innocent)
was built in Dolac near Klina. The church was a single-nave building,
rectangular at the foundations, with a semi-cylindrical vault and a
semi-round apse. Two layers of frescoes were preserved. The more recent
one dated from 1620 while the older, found underneath, was from the
14th century. These were roughly restored, especially those found in
the lower zone of the southern wall. Fragments of an old fresco were
known for their very fine drawings and colour nuance. Similar features
could be found in the later date fresco, dating from the 17th century.
This church was believed to be older than Decani and to have been built
four years before the Battle of Kosovo (1389).
11. The church of St Nicholas, in the village of Slovinje near Lipljan, was built in the 16th century, pulled down in the 19th century and renewed in 1996. On 17th July 1999 it was levelled to the ground by explosives.
12. The new church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul was built in 1938, on the eastern outskirts of the town of Suva Reka. It had a dome and a belfry. The church was first plundered, vandalized and then razed to the ground on 19th July 1999, at 1 a.m.
13. The church of the Holy Trinity in the village of Petric, on the Pec-Pristina road, was built as a foundation of the Karic Brothers in 1992. The church was looted, dynamited and razed to the ground with explosives.
14. The church of the Presentation of The Holy Virgin, in Bijelo Polje near Pec, was built in the 16th century and restored in 1868 under the auspices of the Empress of Russia, Maria Alexandrovna. A collection of ancient icon, books and liturgical vessels was kept in the monastery among which particularly stood out a 15th-16th century Italo-Cretan icon of The Holy Virgin with Christ.
15. The cathedral church of Holy King Uros, in the city of Urosevac, was built between 1929 and 1933, to the designs of the architect from Skopje, Josif Mihailovic. The icon collection, belonging to the medieval period of Serbian icon painting, also included the 1896 Holy Trinity icon painted by the zoographer Josif Radevic from Lazaropolje. The church had votive discos from 1909, a censer and several bells donated by the women of Kragujevac in 1912. The church was vandalized and the interior was burnt.
16. The church of St Elijah in Vucitrn, was built in the year 1834 on the eastern outskirt of the city, at the site where some previously buried holy relics had been discovered. The wall paintings were made in 1871, by the zoographer Blaza Damnjanovic from Debar. The church was looted, vandalized and partially burnt.
church of St John the Baptist, in Samodreza near Vucitrn, entered
the legends as "the white church of Samodreza" in which saint
King Lazar gave Holy Communion to the Serbian knights on the eve of
the Battle of Kosovo (1389). The new church, made from blocks of white
marble and to the designs of A. Deroko and P.Popovic, professors of
Belgrade University, was erected on the foundations of an old church,
in 1932. The famous poet and painter Zivorad Nastasijevic painted the
frescoes in the new church in the same year.
18. The Church of St Paraskeva, in Drsnik near Pec, was at one time devoted to St Nicholas. It was a single-nave building, of rectangular foundation, with a semi-cylindrical vault. There was a semi-round apse facing east. The church had a gable roof covered in stone slates. The wall consisted of irregular layers of stone and plaster. The old frescoes were considerably damaged. The church was restored during the seventh decade of the 16th century. Preserved was an icon from that period, remarkable for its fine drawing and strong colours. The technique was good and in spite of constant rain and snow, as well as other mishaps that they had been exposed to, the frescoes retained their quality rather well. Two marble crosses were elaborately dressed and placed on the eastern and western roof vertices respectively. The church was vandalized and the inside was burnt.
19. The Church of The Holy Virgin, in the village of Naklo near Pec, was built in 1985, later demolished and burnt.
20. The Church of the Holy Trinity, in the village of Velika Reka near Vucitrn, was built as a foundation of Dimitrije Ljiljak in 1997 to the designs of the architect Ljiljana Ljiljak. The church was vandalized, burnt and almost completely destroyed. The church was finally destroyed by explosive on August 19, 2000.
21. The Church of St Apostles in Petrovac, near Kosovska Kamenica, was vandalized and burnt.
22. The Church of The Holy Virgin, in the village of Podgorce near Vitina, was new. It was consecrated in 1996, but vandalized and burnt afterwards.
23. The Church of the Conception of St John the Baptist with three bells, was finished in 1998 as a Rajovic's family foundation in Pecka Banja. The architect Ljubisa Folic made the designs. The church was demolished and the interiors burnt.
24. The Church of The Holy Virgin in Djurakovac, from 1997, was vandalized.
Trinity Cathedral in Djakovica was completed in 1999 on the
foundations of a five-dome memorial church. The old church was built
to serve as a mausoleum and the place of final rest for all those killed,
murdered and frozen to death in the wars of 1912-1918. It was completed
in 1940 but in 1949, on St Sava's Day it was destroyed by the infidel.
On the very spot, fifty years on, the same destiny befell a new church,
which was first desecrated, then set ablaze, mined and finally completely
destroyed on 24/25 July 1999.
26. The Church of St Nicholas - Nikoljaca stands in a hilly meadow, in the old Serbian village of Osojane in the river Kujavce valley, 8 km southeast of Istok. The name of the village is mentioned in King Milutin's charter to Banjska Monastery in 1314. The Devic katastich ("letter" to the monastery) from 1761-79 lists all Serb donators. Desecrated.
27. The Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah in Bistrazin was built between the two world wars on the foundations of a much older church from partially chiselled stone and had a belfry facing west. In April 1941 the Shiqptars burnt and vandalized it. In 1991 the church was restored but now is totally destroyed.
28. The Church of St Demetrios in Siga, near Pec, was restored in 1937 on the foundations of an old church, which had an added narthex and was believed to have been older than Decani. An ancient upright candleholder, made of wrought iron, was found in it. In WW2 Kosovo Albanian Nazis vandalized the church and now in July 1999 the Albanian extremists completely destroyed it.
29. The Church of St Elijah in the village of Zegra, near Gnjilane, was built in 1931. It was demolished and later completely burnt (the roof caved in). Two other church buildings were also set ablaze. Crosses and tombstones at the cemetery were wrecked.
30. The Church of St Cosma and Damian in the village of Novake, near Prizren, was restored in 1991. Now stands vandalized and burnt. Mining attempts were carried out. Graves around the church were desecrated.
31. The Church of the Presentation of The Holy Virgin, in Veliko Krusevo near Pec, (ancient, restored), was broken into and partially burnt.
32. The 14th century Zociste Monastery, 5 km southeast of Orahovac, dated back to the days of the Nemanjic self-governing state. The Church of the Holy Physicians Cosma and Damian (also known by the name "Coinless" because they charged no fee for curing the ill) had a semi-round vault and a wide narthex. The preserved frescoes, especially one of a prophet's bust, belonged to the 12th -14th century monumental style of painting. Contained a valuable collection of icons, books (The Zociste menaion from the 15th century), and liturgical vessels. The double door of the iconostasis was known for their exceptional beauty. The monastery was looted, demolished and mined; the konaks burnt.
33. Church of St John in Grmovo, 4 km west of Vitina. First set ablaze and then completely demolished by explosives, on 25 July 1999.
34. The Church of St Nicholas, in the village of Kijevo in Prekoruplje, 15 km south-east of Klina. The single-nave building, with a semi-round vault and semi-circle apse, was built in 14th century. The added spacious narthex was painted in 1602. Among the valuables were three 17th century censer, nine icons from the second half of the 16th century among which was the icon of the Holy Apostle Thomas with a very rare representation of his standing figure - a scene from his hagiography. The church used to house an extremely valuable collection of hand written books. The belfry was added in the 19th century. Now it is completely razed to the ground. The cemetery crosses and tombstones were wrecked.
35. The Church of St Evangelist Mark, in Klina (Metohija), was erected on the foundations of the old church of the Presentation of The Holy Virgin. Destroyed by explosive.
36. The Church of St Nicholas, in the village of Ljubizda near Prizren, was built in the 16th century and renewed in 1867. The Galicia zoographer Vasilije Krstic of the famous Daskalovic-Djinovski family from Dabar painted the interior. The single-nave building had a semi-round vault and an extended narthex. The icons from the neighbouring church buildings, destroyed earlier, among which was the 14th century double icon of The Annunciation and the Meeting of Joachim and Ann, were brought over to this church. The double door in the iconostasis dated back to the 16th century. The church used to house bells, a processional icon of the Mother of God with an artistically embroidered linen cloth 7-8m long, a wooden chalice, books, throne icons, triptych-icon, octagonal choir space with mother-of-pearl incrustations, a copper baptistery, a filigree cross with an inscription from the 19th century. Looted, vandalized, burned inside and finally mined.
37. The Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah in Ljubizda, 4 km north-east of Prizren and in the country of the same name. Restored in 1979, on the 16th century foundations. Today stands looted, burnt on the inside and mined. The cemetery around it was desecrated.
38. The Church of St Parasceva, in the village of Dobrcane, 10 km east of Gnjilane and on the road to Kamenica, was built after World War I. Now stands burnt, with the caved in roof.
39. The Cathedral Church of Christ the Savior in Pristina (new), is a single-dome building with the ground plan in the form of an inscribed cross and a trefoil. Its typological definition, an edifice of central type, was already known in the earliest period of the Middle Ages, especially during the Byzantine epoch. Being dressed from a cube, and having very precise measurements, it achieved monumental, humane and purposeful shape both outside and inside. The author of the project was Spasoje Krunic. Albanian extremists at first made attempts to burn it but later, at 1 a.m. on 1 August 1999, four explosive devices were planted out of which two remained unexploded.
40. The Church of St Elijah was built in 1994 in the village of Smac, in a field near Prizren, 10 km north of the city. It was built as a foundation for Zivko Djordjevic by the conservationist Milosav Lukic. The church was burnt, vandalized and mined inside. Not all planted explosive devices went off.
41. The Church of St Basil the Great was built in 1863, in the village of Srbica near Prizren, on a slope facing south among eight ancient oak-trees and on the ruins of a much older church. This was a single-nave building that housed a collection of icons and books from the 18th and 19th centuries. Burnt and then destroyed.
42. The Church of St Parasceva, in the village of Zaskok near Urosevac, was mined and completely destroyed.
43. The Church of St Nicholas was once in the village of Gatnja (Urosevac), east of today's Gornja Mahala. The new church, which was built on the old foundations in 1985, was looted, vandalized and destroyed by dynamite.
44. The Church of the Holy Virgin stood in the valley bellow the village of Donje Nerodimlje, on a little hill known as Glavica. It was erected in 1925 on the remaining foundations of an older church known by the same name. Albanians forcibly entered it, desecrating the relics. The church was vandalized and then destroyed.
45. The Church of St Elijah, in the village of Nekodim 2 km southeast of Urosevac, built on the old foundations, was refurbished and expanded in 1975. Vandalized and set on fire.
46. The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul was erected in Talinovac 2km north of Urosevac. Vandalized and the interiors completely burnt. The cemetery around it was demolished.
47. The Church of the Holy Trinity was built in the village of Babljak, 8 km north of Urosevac. The villagers who added a beautiful belfry in 1966 restored the old church. Vandalized and the inside was set ablaze.
48. The Church of the Birth of The Holy Virgin, in the village of Softovic, 6 km northeast of Urosevac, was erected between the two world wars. Desecrated and burnt down.
49. The Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah in Kacanik, built in 1929, successfully presented a harmonious continuum of proportions and facade styles noticeable in Kalenic and Gracanica. The church, built on a square foundation, had a ground plan in the shape of a single cross, spacious trefoil apses and a dome. Three layers of bricks and dressed stones were used for the facade that was decorated with archivolts that had coronas made of notched bricks. Windows had engraved rosettes. The crosses on the dome and above the portal respectively, made of dressed stone, bear the characteristics of the Moravska School. Visible are also richly decorated rosette and archivolts above the entrance. Patriarch Varnava, while still a Serb metropolitan, presented the church with a bell. Milan Korunic, Serbian architect from the first half of the 20th century, designed the project.
50. The Church of the Holy Virgin once stood in the easternmost part of the village Korisa near Prizren. The church was a single-dome building covered with large stone tiles. The apse contained a painting that stylistically belonged to the 16th -17th century. The remains of the frescoes were rather well preserved, except for the fresco of The Holy Mother with Christ that was riddled with bullets fired by the Albanian militants. The church also housed the 19th century icons and liturgical vessels. Both the church and the old church base were levelled with the ground. The cemetery, too, was destroyed.
51. The Church of St Jeremiah in Grebnik was built in 1920 on the base of the ancient church in the place known as Kucine. The Devic katastich from 1765-76 acknowledges Serbs as donators. Around the church were several-hundred-years-old oak-trees and an ancient cemetery. The church was razed to the ground and the terrain was bulldozed over.
52. The Church of St Prince Lazar was erected in 1969 in the village of Kos, on the left bank of the river Kujavca, 12 km south-east of Istok. St Stephan's Charter, granted by King Milutin in 1314, mentions the name of the village. The Devic katastich from 1761 to 1780 refers to the Kosani Serbs as benefactors. Stone crosses and tombstones from the old cemetery were wrecked, the church door smashed and the interior vandalized.
The Holy Trinity Church in Zitinje, near Vitina, was built in1980,
on the foundations of an old Church of The Holy Virgin. The villagers
had a bell and a new iconostasis made. During the restoration an old
and damaged inscription was discovered within the ruins of the old church
and was built into the new edifice. The
54. The Church of St Parasceva was an old, restored sanctuary in the vicinity of the Serb village of Klokot. The place, 6 km north of Vitina, is known for its springs of mineral water and a spa of the same name. Its name is mentioned in the Knez Lazar Charter to the Ravanica Monastery from the year 1381. The church interior was burnt and on 27 July 1999 it was mined.
55. The Church of St Lazarus near the river Belicnica in the village of Belica in Kujavca, 13 km southeast of Istok, was built in the 14th century and underwent several restorations throughout the 16th, 17th, 18th and 20th centuries (1966-68). Lazarica was a single-nave and vaulted church with the remains of the narthex in its front. Around the church are the old and the new cemeteries. The church was robbed and burnt.
56. The Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah in Pomazatin, on the left bank of the river Drenica and 12 km west of Pristina, was erected in 1937. Pulled down in 1941 but renewed in 1964. During 1982-1985 the doors and windows were wrecked. The roof and the interiors were burnt. The church was damaged by Albanian extremists in summer 1999, after the arrival of the UN Mission to Kosovo. It was completely destroyed in a powerful explosion on July 16, 2000. Now only ruins remain.
57. The 14th century Church of St George, in Rudnik near Srbica, was restored in the 16th century during the reign of Patriarch Makarije Sokolovic. Frescoes date from the same period. East of the church is a few-hundred-years-old mulberry-tree, planted from a seedling which St Sava had brought from Zion. The church was destroyed by explosives.
58. The Holy Trinity Church in Donji Ratis near Decani was old and underwent restoration in 1935. Shqiptars destroyed it in 1941 but it was renewed in 1992. Seven attacks were launched on it between 1996 and 1998. It was burnt and completely destroyed with explosive devices.
59. The Church of the Holy Apostle Luke was erected in 1912, in Vitomirica 5 km northeast of Pec. It was built from Banjska marble, in the shape of a trefoil, with one dome. The Montenegro army liberated these parts from the Turks on Lucindan (the day of St Luke), in 1912. There is a nicely looked after village cemetery near the church. Today the church stands vandalized and set on fire inside.
60. The Church of St Elijah in Podujevo was built on the Merdjez hill in 1930. During World War II Kosovo Albanian Nazis destroyed the dome and desecrated the church. Renewed on several occasions. Restoration works were completed in 1971. Vandalized and burnt inside.
61. The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, "King's Church" stands on the Kraljevica hill, in the village of Gornja Pakastica some 20 km away from Podujevo. The foundation, which dated from the 14th century, was King Milutin's endowment. The new church, built in 1925 on the old foundations, now stands vandalized and partially burnt.
62. The Cemetery chapel (paracclesion) was built on the foundations of an old church at the present-day Serb cemetery in Kosovska Mitrovica, at the exit from the city. Crosses and tombstones were vandalized and the chapel damaged inside.
63. The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul was built in 1929, in Istok, in the river valley. The iconostasis was built with the kind help of Patriarch Varnava. During World War II (1943-1944) the church, as well as the parochial building, served as a prison in which Albanian Nazis kept Serbs from Istok, Dragoljevci, Kovrani and many other villages interned and had them sent on to working camps in Albania and on Italian islands. Today the church is burnt and desecrated.
64. The Church of St Nicholas in Prizren is the same church that Tsar Dusan bequeathed to the Monastery of St Archangel in 1348. It was the endowment of a Prizren nobleman Rajko Kirizlic whose son's name, Bogdan, is mentioned in 1361 and 1368. The church was in service until 1795 when Mahmud-pasha Busatlija looted it. Restored in 1857. The church treasured the oldest Prizren icon of The Holy Virgin Odigitriya from the mid-14th century as well as the 16th century icon of St Elijah in the Cave. It was mined with twenty explosive devices, out of which five went off. Considerable damage was made to this shrine.
65. The Church of the Holy Saviour in Dvorani was erected near Musutiste, at the foot of Mount Rusnica, some 7 km southeast of Suva Reka. The katastichon of the Holy Trinity Monastery acknowledged the Dvorani Serbs as the benefactors. A 1603 icon bore a donators' inscription. Mined and destroyed.
66. The Church of St Elijah stands in the village of Lokvice at the eastern foot of Mount Cvilen, 8 km east of Prizren. It was built on the foundations of an older church, in 1866. It houses an 18th century icon collection. Mentioned by King Dragutin (1276-1282), King Milutin, 1308 and Tsar Dusan, 1348. Mined after the deployment of German KFOR troops.
The Church of Holy Knez Lazar stands at the Serb cemetery in Piskote,
near Djakovica. The single-dome church was built between 1991-1994 to
the designs of the architect Ljubisa Folic. It is partially demolished.
The parochial home was burnt.
69. The Church of St Parasceva stands in Gojbulja, at the foot of Mount Kopaonik, 3 km northeast of Vucitrn. The new church was built at the village cemetery, on the remains of an ancient, 1-2 m high wall, in August 1986. The preserved arch, which vaulted the western narthex, was added, too. The church had a rectangular ground plan, a semi-round apse and a smallish narthex. The old walls had traces of fresco plaster on them. There are also the remains of an old Serb cemetery from the first half of the 18th century. Desecrated.
70. The Church of St Nicholas stands in Stimlje, 29 km southwest of Pristina, at the foot of mount Crnoljeva and at the intersection of the Prizren, Urosevac and Lipljan roads. In the eastern part of Stimlje, on the foundations of an old Serb cemetery church a new one was built in 1926. East of the church there are three tombstones, each over 250 years old. In the 19th century there was an active Serb school in the churchyard. The church was desecrated.
71. The church of St Archangel, on a hill above Stimlje, was built between 1920-1922 on the foundations of an older church. It was dedicated to Serbia's World War I warriors. The church was built by "Knjeginja Ljubica" (Princess Ljubica) association to the designs of Serbia's first female architect, Jelisaveta Nacic. The artist Uros Predic painted the frescoes of St Sava and Stevan Nemanja. Next to the church was a hospice for orphaned girls. The church was thoroughly renovated in 1977. Today stands desecrated.
72. The Church of the Holy Saviour stands in Meciceva Mahala in the Prizren County, at the foot of Mount Ikona, 11 km southeast of Suva Reka. Looted and burnt.
73. The Church of St Parasceva lies west of the village of Musutiste. Robbed and burnt.
74. The Church of St Archangel, in Musutiste. Set on fire and partially destroyed by local Albanians, in summer 1999, after KFOR deployment.
75. Kosovo Battle Memorial, built on the site of the famous Kosovo battle in 1389 when the Christian Serb Prince Lazar fought the Ottoman Moslem Army of Sultane Murad. This monument was many times in its history been desecrated by Albanians. The extremists seriously damaged by explosive the interior of the tower and destroyed the Serb inscriptions and crosses on the facade.
76. The Church of St. Nicolas in Gornji Zakut village near Podujevo. The church was destroyed by explosive on November 8, 1999 when the British KFOR decided to remove the constant guard which was posted in front of the church in summer.
77. The church of St. Eliah in Cernica village near Gnjilane. The church was destroyed by the Kosovo Albanian extremists on January 14th, 2000, on the day when Orthodox Serbs celebrate the Julian Calendar New Year. US KFOR troops were just 50 meters from the church in time of explosion. The perpertrators have not yet been arrested as well as not in a single other case of destruction.
78. The church of St. Nicholas in Banjska village near Vucitrn. The church was seriously damaged by Albanian extremists on January 30, 2000, just after the Arabian Emirates KFOR withdrew their guard in front of the church. The altar area is alsmost completely destroyed by a strong blast.
79. The church of St. Parasceva in Grncar village near Vitina The church was destroyed by Albanian extremists on Good Friday, April 28, in the morning, before the service.
The list is still not complete. Many smaller churches and chapels are not easy accessible and there is a fear that they might have been destroeyed or desecrated too.